Monday, November 05, 2018

Reviewing the Mail: Week of 11/3/18

Another bloop single week: I have one book from the library. (I promise that I'm not actually reserving one book a week just to have something to write about here. Well, up to this point I haven't been doing that, but now that I've though of it the idea is tempting.)

It's The Ghost in the Shell 2: Man-Machine Interface: Deluxe Edition, the Kodansha edition of Masamune Shirow's 1991-1997 sequel to his original Ghost in the Shell story. (See my post from earlier this year on the first book.) I gather "the Major" is doing something corporate this time out, and perhaps is murdering slightly fewer people along the way. And, from a quick glance, the interior is just about as fan-servicey as the cover is, which could be a plus or a minus for any particular reader.

(Physical notes: the edition I have only lists a 2001 copyright date for the material and no date for its publication. But I'm pretty sure Kodansha didn't exist as an English-language publisher in 2001, and that this book is actually from 2017. Also, the last fifty or so pages in this copy are loose, and I found them scrambled, in several large, clumps in the back. I think I've put it in the right order, and that nothing is missing, but I'll have to see that when I read it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment