Friday, July 30, 2021

Quote of the Week: I Don't Know What I Want But I Want It Now

Steve is troubled by a lot of things. He is twenty-three, was raised in Virginia, and has the idea that California is the beginning of the end. "I feel it's insane," he says, and his voice drops. "This chick tells me there's no meaning to life but it doesn't matter, we'll just flow right out. There've been times I felt like packing up and taking off for the East Coast again, at least there I had a target. At least there you expect that it's going to happen." He lights a cigarette for me and his hands shake. "Here you know it's not going to."

I ask what it is that is supposed to happen.

"I don't know," he says. "Something. Anything."

 - Joan Didion, "Slouching Towards Bethlehem," in Slouching Towards Bethlehem, pp.76-77

No comments:

Post a Comment