Sunday, September 03, 2023

Reviewing the Mail: Week of September 2, 2023

I got three books from the library this week, and these are them:

I Was Their American Dream was the first comics memoir from Malaka Gharib, published in 2019. I missed it then, but read her second book, It Won't Always Be Like This, earlier this year. So I'm going back to see the first book.

The Man in the McIntosh Suit is a historical thriller in comics form - set in 1929 California - by Rina Ayuyang. I've never read Ayuyang's work, and I don't remember how I heard about this: I might have just been searching comics in the library database, and saw this was new and from Drawn & Quarterly, who have dependably good taste.

And then there's Amulet, Book 8: Supernova by Kazu Kibuishi. I missed it when it came out in 2018 - only two years after book 7, Firelight, which is entirely reasonable for big graphic novels - but recently saw an ad for the final book in the series, Waverider, coming early next year. So I figured I might as well catch up before then, though I'm not sure how much I remember after seven years.

No comments:

Post a Comment