Sunday, September 10, 2023

Reviewing the Mail: Week of September 9, 2023

One book this week, from the library.

And it's kinda a funny story - I tried to start reading this bande dessinée omnibus in the Hoopla library app a couple of weeks ago, but found the panels just too small. I decided to see if a real, live book would be better, and put a hold on the physical book in the very same library. (It seems to be slightly larger, so let's see if that makes it easier to read. I find mid-century Eurocomics were made for a larger format than they're usually published in these days.)

The book is Asterix, Vol. 1 by René Goscinny and Albert Uderzo, the 2021 Papercutz edition collecting the first three books in the series (originally from the early 1960s). I'm pretty sure I read some Asterix books, back when I was a kid, but I have no memory of which ones or when. So I'm expecting this to be one part reading-classic-kids-stuff-as-an-adult, and one part do-I-remember-any-of-this?

Oh, and Asterix, in case you don't know, is a Gaul, in 50 BC. He lives in the one little village not conquered by Rome; he's the little guy on the cover. The Romans are the main (mostly comic) villains, and the Gauls are the heroes in this series which...do I need to underline this bit?...was published in France for the French and created by French people, all about how plucky and brave and smart their ancient ancestors were. The term usually used is "beloved."

1 comment:

Ray said...

The English translations by Anthea Bell are rightly famous

Post a Comment