Monday, September 16, 2024

Portions for Foxes: Elis Paprika

"Portions for Foxes" is a series of weekly posts, each about one song by a woman or a band led by a woman. See the introduction for more.

I've said before I'm no expert here - I'm highlighting songs I like a lot, not things I'm deeply knowledgeable about. Here's another example: I think this singer has had a serious career almost entirely in places I have very little visibility. But this one song popped out, and it's quick and punchy and loud and awesome.

This week, my song is No Me Vas A Callar, a 2007 single by the Mexican singer/songwriter Elis Paprika.

It is mostly in Spanish, so I'm not going to quote it much. (I found this lyrics site with a translation, but make no promises about its accuracy.) 

The one thing I absolutely do know is what the title means: you are not going to shut me up.

The lyrics, from what I can tell, are mostly repeating that: this is a song that wants to say one thing, and to say it loud and clear.

And it does that brilliantly, with a keening guitar line under the singer's just slightly harsh singing tone - she's serious, and committed, and she is going to say this so that no one will misunderstand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment