Sunday, September 01, 2024

Reviewing the Mail: Week of August 31, 2024

One book came in the mail this week, so I'm going to tell you about it here. (I also got books other ways, since I was on vacation, but I'm bumping those to later weeks, for mostly not-wanting-to-spend-all-my-vacation-time-typing reasons.)

Fears: Tales of Psychological Horror is a new reprint anthology edited by Ellen Datlow, gathering twenty-one stories, mostly from the last five or so years. There's also a cluster stories from the Aughts - a Stewart O'Nan from 2000, Margo Lanagan's "Singing My Sister Down" from 2004, other stories from Joyce Carol Oates, Stephen Graham Jones, and Tim Nickels - and one real oldie, Charles Birkin's "A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts" from 1964. Other authors included here are Laird Barron, Livia Llewellyn, and Simon Bestwick - and about a dozen others; if you squint you might be able to read all the names on the cover.

I think the subtitle explains it pretty well; these are stories of psychological horror. Datlow is the premier editor of short horror fiction of our time, so I trust her judgement. (I mean, I might not read the book, because I'm not fond of horror, but I have a vast and undying respect for her, and firmly believe she picks the best stories of the kind that I don't like.)

This is a trade paperback from Tachyon, officially publishing a week from Tuesday. Though...I have a real book in my hands right now, so your favorite bookseller might just be able to get you your own copy slightly before that date, if you ask them nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment