Monday, August 17, 2026

All of This and Nothing: Alarm Clock

"All of This and Nothing" is a series of weekly posts, each about one song I really love, by an artist I haven't featured in the previous This Year, Portions For Foxes, or Better Things series. It alternates between Obscure and Famous songs; feel free to argue either way if you're so inclined. See the introduction for more.

Back to Obscure this week, which as usual means a song I found semi-randomly by a band that I can't tell you all that much about.

This time out, it's Alarm Clock, by the British band The Rumble Strips, from their 2007 debut record Girls and Weather. It's poppy without quite being power-pop, driven by some nice horn work and an appealingly distinctive vocal performance by the lead singer.

And it's a fun, zippy song that's about exactly what it says: the singer's alarm clock, which was annoying and now no longer works:

Well I don't like doing things
That other folks tell me to do
So I hit it with a hammer
And now he's quite subdued

That's it: a fast-paced, fun, horn-driven pop song about a guy who doesn't want to get up in the morning. If there's a Platonic ideal of the relatable song, this is right up there.

Well my alarm clock he ain't working
But I don't really mind
'Cause he ain't no friend of mine
He kept waking me up all the time

No comments:

Post a Comment