"All of This and Nothing" is a series of weekly posts, each about one song I really love, by an artist I haven't featured in the previous This Year, Portions For Foxes, or Better Things series. It alternates between Obscure and Famous songs; feel free to argue either way if you're so inclined. See the introduction for more.
This week swings back to Famous, with Johnny Nash's 1972 song I Can See Clearly Now.
(Speaking of seeing clearly, I wonder if it's at all clear what my organizational structure was for this year? I don't think I ever actually said it. Both Obscure and Famous songs are running in reverse chronological order, though the two streams are entirely uncoupled, to keep them alternating. And they would have to be, since, in a weird bit of symmetry I didn't plan, only five of the Obscure ones are from before this century and only five of the Famous ones are from the current century. There's a reason for this structure, a deeply silly one which I'll explain when we hit the relevant song.)
As with all of the Famous songs, I'm assuming you know it by this point. Even if you weren't around in 1975, it's been in plenty of media; the copy I have is from the Grosse Pointe Blank soundtrack, where it runs under the opening credits in that traditional movie undercut-the-mood-with-a-poppy-song way.
The song itself is happy - purely so. There's few enough of those.
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
There's no subtext, no hidden darkness. I was going to spin a whole theory here about how it reflected the post-Watergate mood when I realized I had the date as 1975 in error - it's actually from 1972. So I don't even have that. Just a happy song about things finally going right, after a long time when they weren't. That's plenty.
No comments:
Post a Comment