Sunday, September 27, 2026

Reviewing the Mail: Week of September 26, 2026

Three books for this week - one I bought myself (trying to use an old gift card that didn't go through in the end, curse the luck) and two new books from Tachyon. The Tachyon books will be first, according to my usual rules.

Mary G. Thompson has written short fiction and novels for younger readers, but I think Precious Children is her first novel for adults. It's a SFnal horror novel about cloning, of the replacing-loved-ones style, focused on one family who seem to have awful luck in the mortality of their children but luckily are rich enough that those children can be replaced and their existence continued - the question being how closely that existence continues, and what happens to the person previously using the brain that becomes the newest version of their beloved son. It's just been published by Tachyon.

Also from Tachyon, even more recently published if I can trust the metadata, is a new collection of short fiction by the least positive man in Hard SF, Peter Watts. Fold Catastrophes collects eleven stories originally in various anthologies, websites, and magazines, going back to 2013. There's also a new original story at the end.

And last of the three is the book I bought myself. I've gotten behind on Charles Stross's Laundry-verse novels, possibly because they do try to be substantially more depressing and gloom-soaked than the real world, which has been a tricky thing this past decade. I believe Quantum of Nightmares is the second of the "New Management" series, set officially after the apocalypse, and following Dead Lies Dreaming, which I wasn't super-fond of. This one seems to be less "Peter Pan-inspired goofy young people putting on a show," though, so I hope to give it a try. I also already have the sequel to this on the shelf, and want to get to the supposed final actual Laundry novel The Regicide Report. (Which, come to think of it, I could probably just read without hitting the others first - but it looks even gloomier than Standard Stross, which is incredibly gloomy indeed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment