Saturday, August 22, 2009

Movie Log: Ponyo

I can't tell you the last time that I saw a movie on opening day, but I did it for Hayao Miyazaki's new film Ponyo, and the whole Hornswoggler clan (The Wife and my sons Thing 1 and Thing 2) loved it.

It’s a version of the “Little Mermaid” story, filtered through Miyazaki’s usual environmental concerns and with his desire to tell a story appropriate for five-year-olds. (Since the main characters are themselves five.) It's sweet and lovely, as immersive as any of Miyazaki's movies but with a lightness and simplicity that he usually doesn't have.

I saw it a week ago, and I've seen four movies since (busy week!), so there's not much more to say. I do intend to see it again -- I have vague ideas of seeing all of Miyazaki's movies again, preferably one a day in order, but that's less likely to happen -- and I may have more to say about it then.

But, for now: it's a lovely movie that's appropriate for anyone over the age of three and a great introduction to one of the best filmmakers in the world. How can you miss that?
----------------
Listening to: Frou Frou - Breathe In
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment