Saturday, December 31, 2022

Quote of the Hour: Vast and Cool But not Unsympathetic

I've been posting Quotes of the Week this year, all bits coming out of books I've read - I dog-eared pages as I went and then typed them in. But I've been running at an average of 2-3 quotes per book, and one quotable (text, generally - not comics) book most weeks. So I have a surplus.

So for this, the last day of the year, I'm burning off twenty-five of them, from twenty-five different books. This once, it's a Quote of the Hour. They will be very roughly in the order I read the books, so we start with Joan Didion:

The fancy that extraterrestrial life is by definition of a higher order than our own is one that soothes all children, and many writers.

 - Joan Didion, "Doris Lessing," in We Tell Ourselves Stories in Order to Live, p.266


No comments:

Post a Comment