Friday, July 28, 2006

Movie Log: Shall We Dance? (1995)

I saw Shall We Dance? on Monday night, and, by all rights, I should carefully compare and contrast it with the 2004 US remake (with the immortal J. Lo in the role of Dance Instructor With a Big Butt). But it would take the Clockwork Orange treatment to get me to see the remake, so you're on your own there.

I saw the original Japanese movie; that's all one man can do.

And I'm afraid I didn't pay as much attention to it as I should; this occasionally happens when I watch movies in a foreign language alone -- I get a bit distracted and start missing things. (When I watch a movie alone, I'm in the basement, with all of my books, the computer, the laundry, and other potential distracting things.) So I enjoyed this movie, but I don't feel like I really immersed myself in it.

Oh, well. It's a nice low-key character piece, but (since it's subtitled) you do need to watch the screen the entire time or else (like me) you'll end up with the feeling that you didn't really see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment