Saturday, September 15, 2012

Incoming Books: September 14th

It's been a hectic and busy week -- I had jury duty Tuesday-Thursday, and then was at a conference part of the day on Friday (on top of a major quarterly project at work being due Tuesday) -- but, on the way out of NYC yesterday, I did manage to stick my head into a comics shop and buy some books.

And this is what I found:

Gloriana, a small-format book of comics by Kevin Huizenga, mostly about his semi-autobiographical character Glenn Ganges. (See my review of his Curses, which also featured Ganges. I also looked at The Wild Kingdom, which was less definable.)

The third of Darwyn Cooke's adaptions of Richard Stark novels about a particularly focused criminal, Parker: The Score. (See my reviews of the first two: The Hunter and The Outfit.)

The fifth of Rick Geary's "Treasury of XXth Century Murder" books -- which followed eight similar books of Victorian murder and an initial larger-format collection -- is Lovers' Lane, about a dual murder in New Jersey in 1922. (I've reviewed a bunch of them: The Terrible Axe-Man of New Orleans, The Lindbergh Child, Famous Players, The Case of Madeleine Smith, The Saga of the Bloody Benders, and The Lives of Sacco and Vanzetti.)

Love and Rockets: New Stories, No. 5, the latest in the current annual series from Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez. (I reviewed 1, 2, and 3, but still haven't read 4 -- I might end up holding it for my massive re-read of Love and Rockets, or maybe not.)

Michel Rabagliati's The Song of Roland, another in his series of semi-autobiographical stories about his stand-in, Paul. (See my reviews of Paul Goes Fishing, Paul Has a Summer Job, and Paul Moves Out.)

And last was another Love and Rockets book, the all-Jaime collection with the jawbreaker of a title God and Science: Return of the Ti-Girls. I wasn't as thrilled by this superhero/women's wrestling story as most Internet commentators were -- possibly because I have very little residual affection for superheroes, unlike most of the comics world -- but I do want to see how it reads as a single book, and as part of the overall L&R experience.

1 comment:

Peter Hollo said...

I strongly recommend just reading L&R New Stories #4. The Jaime story here is just as powerful as the one in #3, which it follows.
I just finished #5, which is also wonderful, but you could possibly hold off on that one - especially as the Beto one has lots of Palomar references which I only dimly understood as I really need to do my own re-read!

Post a Comment