Monday, August 26, 2019

Reviewing the Mail: Week of 8/24/19

This time out, it's particularly small beer not only do I only have one book to write about, but it's one I've already mentioned once before.

The book is The Envious Siblings and Other Morbid Nursery Rhymes, by Landis Blair, a collection of illustrated stories told in verse in the Edward Gorey vein. It will be published by Norton on Octber 8th. And I saw the proof back in April, giving it all of a Reviewing the Mail post then.

If I had read the book since then, I'd have something new to say about it. But I haven't, yet -- the proof is still up on the shelf, waiting for me.

So: go back to that old post if a new Gorey sounds interesting to you and you missed my post the first time around. Otherwise, I do expect to get to this book soon: it's short, aims to be funny, and I can tell at a glance that Landis draws well. (It's harder to tell about writing, especially verse. For that I'll have to read the thing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment