Friday, August 26, 2022

Quote of the Week: The Family Business

I didn't want to climb in bed with Karina for fear that she might wake up and ask me to explain why I was putting our son's life on the line with my own. There was really no way for me to explain how keeping Twill close to me, even in dangerous situations, was better than leaving the young man to shift for himself. The spirit of the law was Twill's heart, but he had no truck with lawmakers or their enforcers. He knew that a poor woman wasn't going to get a fair trial; that the laws were made for the rich to pick the pockets of everyone else; and that, at the crux of it, the only real law was the one that nature provides.

My job was to steer him along until his survival instincts matched his natural intelligence.

 - Walter Mosley, Trouble Is What I Do, p.123

No comments:

Post a Comment