Monday, August 08, 2022

Reviewing the Mail: Week of August 6, 2022

Two books this time out, both of them things I bought from That Big Internet Retailer, both of them the next book in a series I've enjoyed. So this will likely be short....

Quillifer the Knight is the middle book of Walter Jon Williams's Quillifer trilogy (so far; I've seen at least one reference that Williams may have a plan for six books in mind), which is fantasy set in an secondary late-medieval world. I read the first one recently, though my post won't go live for another few weeks. Williams is one of the most criminally underrated writers in SFF; everything he's done has been excellent, and his range is breathtaking. So read his books, OK? Pick whichever one is in the genre you like best - he probably has at least one (space opera, historical sea fiction, cyberpunk, far-future urban fantasy, near-future thriller, humorous caper, and I could go on).

Trese, Vol. 4: Last Seen After Midnight is the fourth book in the comics urban fantasy series about supernatural investigator Alexandra Trese, by Philippine creators Budjette Tan and KaJo Baldisimo. I first saw this series a decade ago when it was first published in the Philippines, through the kindness of Charles Tan (the then, and maybe still now, greatest booster of the SFF works of that nation), and have been thrilled to see them finally published in the US. There's also a Netflix show, which I haven't seen, but that can't hurt the visibility of the books. Here's what I've written about the previous volumes: one and two (2009 ComicMix link, may be hijacked), three (2010), one (2021), two (2022), three (2022).

No comments:

Post a Comment