Saturday, November 04, 2006

Book-A-Day #109 (11/2): Housekeeping Vs. The Dirt by Nick Hornby

One of my inspirations for this blog was The Polysyllabic Spree, the first collection of Hornby's columns for The Believer magazine -- the column being a record of his reading for a particular month, with lists of books coming in (being bought) and going out (having been read), and his thoughts on those books (subject to The Believer's niceness police). I mentioned this in passing in one of my early posts -- possibly the first of my many lists.

So I was happy and surprised to find this book recently, since I didn't know it had been published and hadn't realized it was time for another collection of those columns.

This book covers February of 2005 through June/July of 2006, and features many, many lists of books, and a similarly generous number of short, review-like bits of writing about those books. I find lists of other people's reading interesting (the more it overlaps my own, the more interesting, I think -- or, at least, the more it overlaps books I know about and have at least a vague interest in), and Hornby is a pleasant, breezy writer, so this was a great book to knock off on the plane before starting my biggish book for work of the trip. (To be named later, once I finish it.)

The Fabulous Book-A-Day Index!

No comments:

Post a Comment