Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Oh, Yeah, There's a Transit Strike in NYC

It's not affecting me in the slightest, though.

I take a NJTransit bus into the lovely Port Authority Bus Terminal (at the not-quite-as-skeevy-as-it-used-to-be corner of 42nd Street and 8th Avenue), and then walk down to my office, on East 26th Street, just north of Madison Square Park. (I have been known to take the subway during a downpour, but that's about it.)

As a matter of fact, these days I deliberately walk longer ways to work, since I'm trying to walk two miles each morning (and a direct route from PABT to the office is a bit under a mile and a half).

So today I walked up to 46th and then across town, cutting through Grand Central Terminal (which I don't think I've been inside for five years, at least) and then continuing down Park until zipping back over to Madison at 31st Street.

5th Avenue looked strange; there were police with barricades at every intersection, letting buses zip down the center lane, but stopping all other non-bike traffic. And several cross streets (I seem to recall 43rd in particular) were also closed off, for non-obvious reasons.

But, in general, it looks like a major fraction of the working population decided to take the day off. Good for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment