Thursday, June 04, 2009

I Shall Wear The Bottoms of My Trousers Rolled

Today is the 40th birthday of the man who hides behind the very thin mask of "G.B.H. Hornswoggler," and it wouldn't be blogging if I didn't crow loudly about pointless personal minutia. No congratulations are necessary; all I did was manage not to die for another 365 days. (And I hope to keep that streak up for a long time to come.)

So: I am now officially old, and will soon be sitting in a folding chair next to the highway, shaking my cane at passing cars and hollering at the local kids to stay off my lawn. I hope to look more and more like a George Booth cartoon as time goes on; every man needs a hobby.

9 comments:

Susan at Stony River said...

Happy Birthday! Mine was a few years back (only a few) so perhaps it's time I started rolling my stockings below my knees, drawing me bigger lips with only the reddest lipstick, and wearing curlers under a scarf until noon.

Hey, this could be fun....!

moonrat said...

woohoo!! happy crochety birthday!!

John D. said...

Happy birthday!

If you are 'officially old', what does that make those of us who are older than you? never mind...I'd rather not know... :)

Unknown said...

Welcome to the ranks of greying fandom!

Charles said...

Happy birthday!

Jo Walton said...

Happy birthday, and I hope all the mermaids on the New Jersey Turnpike sing to you.

Marilynn Byerly said...

Nice use of the TS Eliot quote.

As an ancient one, you are now privy to our secrets.

One of the most important is that "old" refers to those folks ten years or more older than you are.

My mom who is in her early 90s considers a good friend of hers who is 101 the old person of her acquaintance.

And Happy Birthday whether you like it or not.

Unknown said...

Well, congratulations.

Mark Dykeman said...

Celebrated my 4.0 * 10 just a few days ago as well. The day came and... I didn't feel any different. Which was good!

So, belated happy birthday!



Regards,



Mark

Post a Comment