Thursday, April 06, 2006

Incoming Books: 6 April

A few things have wandered home this week, despite the fact that I'll have no chance to even glance at them (unless I can justify it as SFBC time) for months to come. And they are:
  • Tarzan Alive by Philip Jose Farmer
    A new trade paperback edition from Bison Books/University of Nebraska Press (which has been doing a lot of SF classics over the past few years, in generally pretty nice editions). I've never read this one, but I was devoted to Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life in my teens; perhaps Bison will do that one next.
  • Giant Lizards from Another Star by Ken MacLeod
    I have a feeling that MacLeod's more...topical...non-fiction would do unpleasant things to my blood pressure, so I might not get to this one for quite a while. But he's a great fiction writer, so I want to have it on the shelf, just in case.
  • The Best of Philip Jose Farmer
    I love how the NESFA Press example has encouraged several other small SF presses (this one is from Subterranean, and they really know how to put a classy book together) to do big career retrospectives of good short story writers. On the other hand, it means a long string of 600-page books that I feel like I should read, so it's not all good.
  • In the Beginning: Tales from the Pulp Era by Robert Silverberg
    I know I won't get to this before I read Phases of the Moon, or Sailing to Byzantium or probably even Unfamiliar Territory. (I might get to it before Beyond the Safe Zone, though.) But having lots of Silverbob short stories available if I need them is an end in itself.
  • Bibliotopia by Steven Gilbar
    Another one of those slim books of odd and interesting facts, along the lines of Schott's Original Miscellany. This one, unsurprisingly, is all about books.
  • Cool Stuff and How It Works by a whole bunch of people
    This is a large-format, heavily-designed book from DK, who are famously good explainers. This also looks like something the boys might find interesting once I finally read it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment