So, anyway, at bedtime tonight, I asked Thing 1 what his favorite song on the new CD was. (Well, I knew his most favorite: that's the opening song, "Kaze ni Naru" by Ayano Tsuji, which is the closing credits theme from The Cat Returns -- he went happy-nuts when he found out I had that song, and was thrilled when I said I'd make a CD around that song for him.) But the song he liked second best was "Demolition" by The Kinks, a really kick-ass tune from their prime years (the record right before they fell over into self-parody the first time, actually). I put that one on the CD half-hoping he wouldn't hate it, but mostly because I love it, and wanted something really good in the middle of a disc I was pretty sure I'd be hearing a lot.
My older son may be weird, but I think he has the glimmerings of good taste. (As much of it as I can expect from a nine-year-old, at least.)
Oh, hell, let me waste some space here by listing the complete line-up of the CD I called "2007 [Thing 1] Birthday" (most of my previous mix CDs were tied to trips to Hershey Park, and so were titled things like "Hershey Mix 2005," so I was keeping up the naming convention).
- Ayano Tsuji/Kaze ni Naru
- Cracker/The Good Life
- Thomas Dolby/Hyperactive!
- Adam and the Ants/Antmusic
- Duran Duran/Wild Boys
- The Daddy Warhols/Boys Better
- Talking Heads/Once in a Lifetime
- Elvis Costello/The Imposter
- Chris Mars/Popular Creeps
- Guadalcanal Diary/Litany (Life Goes On)
- Midnight Oil/The Dead Heart
- Jason & the Scorchers/Take Me Home, Country Roads
- Richard Thompson/I Ain't Going to Drag My Feet No More
- Jimi Hendrix Experience/All Along the Watchtower
- The Kinks/Demolition
- The Pogues/South Australia
- Los Lobos/La Bamba
- Modest Mouse/Float On
- Ramones/I Don't Wanna Grow Up
- Faith No More/Epic
- Fountains of Wayne/Better Things