Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Things I'm Smug About Today

1) I know that the title of Jim Butcher's new novel is White Night. (No "K".) I can easily remember this because each of the "Dresden Files" books have two-word titles, and the two words always have the same number of letters. (I'm also smug because I read it a few months ago, and it kicks ass, but that's not the main point here...)

2) I know the difference between "prone" and "supine." (They are, roughly speaking, opposites, and the way to remember the difference is: "supine" means one is lying on one's spine.)

3) "Antepenultimate" is the coolest word in the universe. And every time a writer uses it correctly, an editor gets his wings.

2 comments:

Deanna Hoak said...

3) "Antepenultimate" is the coolest word in the universe. And every time a writer uses it correctly, an editor gets his wings.

Heh. Yeah, I bet that happens often. I'm hugely thrilled when they remember that "penultimate" doesn't mean "last."

Paul Weimer said...

2.2) I know the difference between "prone" and "supine." (They are, roughly speaking, opposites, and the way to remember the difference is: "supine" means one is lying on one's spine.)

I was tweaked by a friend for conflating the two not too long ago.

Post a Comment