Thursday, October 01, 2009

In Which I Continue To Be Grumpy About Perfectly Nice Graphic Novels

After my epic dual-review mountain of invective and bile on Monday, I stepped up to the plate at ComicMix again yesterday to cast scorn at a couple of books that are demonstrably better than at least 80% of the comics being published.

(Those books are Refresh, Refresh by Danica Novgorodoff and The Big Kahn by Neil Kleid and Nicolas Cinquegrani.)

Even better, I spent so much time obsessing about spelling "Novgorodoff" and "Cinquegrani" correctly that I punted on "Kleid" in the headline. (I fixed it, but only after the author noticed it -- errors are ten times worse if the subject of the error has to tell you about it.)

There's just something about writing a "review" that brings out the impulse to dissect in me, I'm afraid; I'm much more likely to focus on the negative than the positive if not kept firmly in hand. If I reviewed books that actually were bad, I'd probably choke on my own bile. My apologies to any creators whom I may have already traumatized, or may do so to in the future.

Anyway, there may be a "Manga Friday" column tomorrow, if I manage to get one written tonight. Watch out for it or don't!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As an anonymous fan, I must say, on behalf of creators everywhere, that you are evil.

Also, I found this interesting: "A graphic novel by Danica Novgorodoff, adapted from a screenplay by James Ponsoldt based on the story by Benjamin Percy."

That's quite a journey.

Post a Comment