Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Quite a Mountain by Jim Benton

This book was shorter than I expected, so today's post should be quick.

Last time around with Jim Benton, I read and enjoyed his all-ages graphic novel Attack of the Stuff but noted that I might be getting to the end of the all-ages bits, leaving only the definitely-for-middle-graders books. (And, don't get me wrong: middle graders are fine people who deserve awesome books, but I'm not one of them and haven't been for some time.)

And that seems to be true: from here, Benton's work is a vast sea of Frannie K. Stein and My Dumb Diary, plus a clutch of board books for even younger people. There are some other things in graphic format that I might be tempted to look at eventually - the Catwad series, maybe Batman Squad - but they are very clearly middle-grade-y, and, again, I am at a different point in my life right now.

Quite a Mountain calls itself "a fable for all ages." I pretty much knew what that meant going in, and I bet you do, too: short, accessible, with some kind of a message, a book designed to sit by the cash register and sell itself to the random passers-by. It's hard to tell, since I read it digitally, but I would bet serious money that it's in a small, gift-y format as well. I read it within maybe fifteen minutes, and I was trying to stretch it out.

I tagged it as "comics," but it's an illustrated book - one big drawing to a page, with typeset text to accompany it.

So there's a bear and his friend, a frog, at the bottom of a mountain. The frog is mildly disgusted at the idea of a mountain at all, but the bear decides to climb it. He does. He comes to various things on the mountain, finds a place to live for a while, but...you know the metaphor, you know the lesson.

To Benton's benefit, he never leaves the metaphor or says the lesson clearly. He's telling a story about a bear. Any lessons are up to the reader. And he's got a lovely stark illustrative line in the drawings and his usual casual quick writing: this is a book that feels light and fun and amusing on every page. It's not setting itself up seriously in any way.

But this is inherently a "you can do it!" book, to be given to new graduates or bought by people to cheer themselves up. It's a fine mini-genre, and it will always be with us. I'm not complaining, just defining. Benton has the attitude I share towards the matter and the genre: not entirely believing in it in its purest form, but clear that nothing comes without effort. And clear that "effort" is annoying and not what you want to do most of the time.

So this is a solid fable, with no detectable saccharine - unlike most of its cohort - by a fine creator.

I'll just end by giving the last word to the frog:

I'm not going to tell you that you can't do this, because that would be discouraging. But I am thinking it. I am thinking it pretty hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment