Sunday, December 10, 2023

Reviewing the Mail: Week of 12/9/2023

Two weeks in a row! I haven't had new physical books coming in two weeks in a row for quite a while - and this week, like last, it's entirely because of the library. Here are two things I put on hold and just picked up:

I Must Be Dreaming is Roz Chast's new book for this year, a non-fiction narrative about dreams (literal, while-sleeping, not metaphoric) - I think both her own and in general. Chast is a national treasure of cartooning, so I'd be reading her new book if it was about her collection of bread-bag closers.

Bea Wolf is a retelling of Beowulf for kids, featuring kids, by Zach (the daily webcomic Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal) Weinersmith, with art by the French cartoonist Boulet (no second name, more credits than I could list, current artist for the Dungeon: Zenith series). That's a bizarre idea, and I am all in on the bizarre ideas, particularly at this point in my reading life. (After you've read ~7,000 books as an adult, you start to yearn for the new and different.)

No comments:

Post a Comment