Sunday, December 31, 2023

Quote of the Hour: Unspeakable, Uneatable

My feelings about foxhunting were (and remain) deeply ambivalent. On the one hand, I like foxes, and, since I don't keep chickens, have never regarded them as any particular threat, while at the same time I don't much like most of the people who hunt foxes. On the other hand, riding full tilt over unfamiliar stone walls has a certain appeal to me, as do all the ancient traditions of dress and behavior that go with foxhunting, and in fact constitute its chief attraction. Either you enjoy getting dressed up in what amounts to costume to risk your neck on a horse, or you don't, is what it amounts to. No great moral issue has ever seemed to me at stake, one way or the other.

 - Michael Korda, Country Matters, p. 39

No comments:

Post a Comment