Sunday, December 31, 2023

Quote of the Hour: What the Smart Set Are Thinking This Year

Once again, I have too many quotes, so I'm burning them off as Quote of the Hour. I did this the last day of last year, and on the July 4th weekend this year, so I guess it's now a twice-yearly activity. For the few of you who, like me, still use RSS, apologies for spamming your feed.

She wasn't sure that the people she worked with and listened to and admired were right about everything, and as she got older it only became more confusing. But she had learned that, to her friends and colleagues, all the things her father believed were as musty and unattractive as a trouser suit in a department store sale. You could refuse to care about fashion if you wanted to, but if you were going to spend all your time in the company of with-it people, you needed to know when they were laughing at you.

 - Nick Hornby, Funny Girl, pp. 270-1

No comments:

Post a Comment