Sunday, June 04, 2023

Incoming Books: Week of June 3, 2023

I got a couple of books for my birthday! And this is what they were:

Shuna's Journey by Hayao Miyazaki - this is a 1983 story in comics format by director Miyazaki, translated by Alex Dudok De Wit. It looks like something of a Nausicaa precursor or side-story, which might be why it wasn't published in English until this 2022 edition. I don't know a whole heck of a lot more about it other than 1) it exists and 2) I'd like to read it. But, frankly, those are the two most important points about any book, so what more do any of us need?

Impossible People is the big new book from Julia Wertz, and is another autobiographical story. This one is about addiction and recovery, which I'm sure she treats with as much seriousness and gravitas as everything else. I'm also impressed that, even now when her books are coming out from "big" New York houses, her covers are as cluttered and as pure b&w line art as they ever were - this is who she works, this is what a "Julia Wertz" book looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment