Saturday, August 23, 2008

In Which I Shill for Blu-Ray

I've tried to be unobtrusive about my Amazon links -- while still having them be available, in case anything I say fills someone with the burning desire to instantly own whatever-it-is -- but, every so often, I might just dump in a steaming lump of pure commerce.

(Like right now, for example.)

Amazon is having a sale on Blu-Ray DVDs -- are they still DVDs if they're Blu-Ray? or does some other noun apply? -- which they'd like people to know about. Some stuff is up to 50% off, which sounds quite nice. The sale runs through midnight (Pacific time) on August 29th, so there's a bit less than a week to take advantage of it. I don't have a Blu-Ray player, so my interest is purely theoretical at this point.

But, if you do own a Blu-Ray player, and want to get things to watch on it at a discount, you might as well click here and see what Amazon has. (From a quick look myself, I see mostly recent movies and some TV shows -- Mad Men, Pirates of the Caribbean, No Country for Old Men -- in the 83 things on sale.)

And does it utterly destroy my credibility as a shill if I say I hate the term "Blu-Ray?" It's difficult to type, it's weirdly affected, and it doesn't seem to mean anything.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was rather sorry that HDVD didn't "win" as a format, if only because i knew what the term meant and one never has to worry about that stupid hyphen.

Anonymous said...

I believe the name "Blu-Ray" refers to the wavelength of the laser used to read it. It's shorter than the laser used to read DVDs (as one would naturally expect since the disc is physically no larger). If the advertising is any guide, the correct usage is "Blu-Ray disc".

Post a Comment