Sunday, February 01, 2009

Does Anybody Buy Movies Anymore?

I find I'm only buying movies that I know I -- or, more likely, the smaller persons in my house that I call Thing 1 and Thing 2 -- will be watching multiple times. But I may be atypical; maybe there's a huge group of people still buying lots of DVDs.

If so, those people might be happy to know that Amazon currently has a big sale on "indie & international titles", which sounds to me like the result of an overstock situation.

Some movies from the sale I would recommend -- even though I don't actually own copies of them myself (see first paragraph), which may make this recommendation somewhat disingenuous -- are the quite funny Death at a Funeral (my review), the wonderfully cutting Thank You for Smoking (my review), and the surely-you-know-about-it-already Lost in Translation.

Some of the movies are as low as $5.99 or as discounted as 54%, so it looks like there are some good deals for people who want to own these things. If you're one of them, go to it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, I just did anyway, buying five dvds for a tenner. Not necessarily movies I want to watch multiple times, but at this price it's worth it.

Anonymous said...

I recently stopped buying movies on DVD. The reason is, now with BluRay creeping in, it _finally_ dawned on me that buying movies is a losing proposition. All I'm doing is creating more clutter for my living space, and more crap to eventually go into a landfill. My current crop of owned DVDs will soon be unwatchable from a technological perspective. So,from now on, every time there's a format change such as is happening now w/ BluRay, I will purchase a new machine, but rent the movies. I'll be free, I tell you, FREE!! Mwah hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Jeff P.

Post a Comment