Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Off For the AUTM

I'm flying out, early tomorrow morning, to Orlando for the star-spangled AUTM annual meeting, where I will be sitting at a booth in a convention hall once again.

If by some bizarre twist of fate you will also be at AUTM, drop by and say hello; I'll be the tall guy with a goatee. (If you see a red-headed woman, that's not me, but my colleague. You can still say hello, but I won't answer, and she may look at you funny.)

I expect to be doing some blogging while down there -- no, let's be honest, I hope, as I always do, that being away from my usual daily routine will suddenly free me to read many books and type madly, at a speed I could never reach at home...even though that never happens. We'll see what actually gets done.

3 comments:

Tania said...

Oddly enough, I've been to an AUTM meeting, and probably have friends attending.

Higher Ed Tech Transfer and IP people have thankless jobs. So be patient with them if they seem frazzled.

Hope you have fun. Wish I still worked in that field.

Unknown said...

I hope you'll find time to comment on the thread over at cheryl morgan's about publishers and Worldcon.

Andrew Wheeler said...

Nadine: I was reading that earlier today, but I got tired and quit before I hit the end of the comments. It struck me mostly as an exercise in alternate history -- if a SF convention could be that big, and support those kinds of policies and procedures, wouldn't it be interesting?

The problem with Worldcon for publishers is that it's barely five thousand people these days, and they're all already educated, self-conscious consumers of SFF books. So it's a small market, and one that's already in the bag.

But maybe I should go over there, read more deeply, and see if I feel differently then.

Post a Comment