Saturday, May 28, 2011

Incoming Books: May 27, 2011

I'm highly predictable: when my company closes early due to a long weekend -- as happened again yesterday -- I find myself shopping for reading material, generally in one of three places, The Strand, Midtown Comics, or Jim Hanley's Universe. [1]

Yesterday it was the last of those three: Hanley's. I've complained about their Byzantine shelving system before, so I'll omit a paragraph or two about my wandering around, trying to find what I was looking for, and get right to the books I bought:

Fred the Clown by Roger Langridge. I've admired Langridge's work in anthologies for ages and ages, and loved his Muppet Show comics. So I finally did have to buy a book of his original work -- it's long overdue.

iZombie, Vol. 1: Dead to the World. It's written by Chris Roberson and drawn by Michael Allred. If I'm reading comics anywhere near the American mainstream at all, I need to be reading this. But I've gotten out of the floppy habit enough to wait for the collection.

Approximate Continuum Comics by Lewis Trondheim. Trondheim is one of the giants of French comics -- and, by that, I mean "has written and drawn lots of great stories for various audiences that I've loved and want to see more of" -- and this is an series of autobiographical stories from the early '90s that I've been looking forward to since I saw Fantagraphics' catalog six months ago.

And last was Pascal Girard's Bigfoot, the graphic novel he created in between Nicolas (my review) and Reunion (my review).


[1] My excuse is that the company closes at 12:30, but the next train on my commuter-only line isn't until about 3:30, so I just have to take the PATH into Manhattan and catch a bus home. And, if I'm in Manhattan, how can I avoid going to a bookstore?

No comments:

Post a Comment