Thursday, August 17, 2006

Book-A-Day #30 (8/16): The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell

I talked about Sarah Vowell before, but I'd only found a copy of this (her other book of essays, after Take the Cannoli) during WFA-frenzy time, so I didn't have a chance to read it immediately.

I see I said most of the things I would say now the last time I talked about Vowell's writing, so I won't repeat myself. This collection is more specifically about political life -- not about specific day-to-day partisan politics or policies, but about being connected to and worrying about your nation and how it's governed. I'm sure I'd disagree with her quite a bit if she was talking about specific policies (though probably not all of the time), but I find I completely agree with her on the more important stuff: that loving and caring about your country is vital, but you also have to be careful not to let that blind you.

She's a good essayist, and I wish more people would read "political" books like this instead of the usual run of All The People I Hate Are Making The Country Suck by T.V. Blowhard.

No comments:

Post a Comment