Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Reading Into the Past: Week of 8/20

This week the number is 11, and here are the books I read last week, back in 1995. (I'm running a week behind due to Worldcon.)
  • Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, editors, Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears (8/13)
    I can't distinguish between these anthologies a decade later, but they were all pretty good. It's a bunch of retold fairy tales by mostly the same people each time, so, if you like any of 'em, you'll like this one.
  • Jason Lutes, Jar of Fools, Book Two (8/13)
    Second half of a comics story about a stage magician; I don't actually remember it very well, but I enjoyed it at the time.
  • Lois McMaster Bujold, The Vor Game (8/14)
    I was catching up on Bujold then, and I hit this Hugo-winning novel. It's the least impressive of her Hugo-winners, but it's a solid space opera and quite readable.
  • Lois McMaster Bujold, Borders of Infinity (8/16)
    This is the story collection, if I remember right, which means it's some of Bujold's best stuff.
  • The Best of S.J. Perelman (8/17)
    It is, and you should read it. Perelman isn't a laugh-out-loud funny kind of writer, but he's witty and fun and can tangle up the English language like no one before or since.
  • Gregory Benford, editor, Far Futures (8/20)
    A collection of novellas -- as I recall, several of them turned into novels later. This is a good book that I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention publicly; well, now I have.
And here we are on Tuesday of the next week -- though I do have Worldcon to blame for it this time. My aim is to get this week's Reading Into the Past done before Friday, but we all know about me and intentions...

No comments:

Post a Comment