Monday, September 11, 2006

Book-A-Day #56 (9/11): Batman and the Monster Men by Matt Wagner

I abandoned the book I was reading for the SFBC this morning and dived into another one after the weekly SFBC Monday morning meeting, in which Ellen Asher and I (and whoever else is around that week) try to figure out what we're doing and what happens next.

So I didn't finish that one, and it doesn't count for book-a-day. The new one is long, so I won't finish it for a couple of days. So I got to grab something from the teetering pile of comics 'n stuff, and this was it.

It's yet another untold (or maybe retold is more like it) story from the early career of Batman. It's a pretty good Batman story, so, if you're in the market for a new Batman story, this could fit the bill. However, Wagner is capable of immensely better work than this, and I hope the comics market has bounced back enough that he can go back to doing his own stories, instead of rehashing '70s stories that rehashed '40s stories.

Feh. There was a time when seeing one of my favorite comics creators doing a big mainstream underwear book would have been fresh and exciting, but that was a good fifteen years ago. Now it's just annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment