Sunday, September 24, 2006

Book-A-Day #68 (9/23): Hellboy, Volume 7: Strange Places by Mike Mignola

More comics, and yet another late book in a long-running series. As I said before, this is not the place to start.

But Mignola is doing great horror-fantasy comics, mixing Lovecraftiness and folklore almost equally, and I don't think the prose fantasy world notices very often. We should, though: this is really good stuff, and, in this book, something important happens to Hellboy (which happens rarely enough in a late volume of a prose series, goodness knows), that shows that Mignola is really going somewhere -- this isn't just a bunch of stories about a weird character, it's something more coherent and unified than that. What, exactly, the story will end up being is still to be seen, but I'm glad I'm reading it.

2 comments:

RobB said...

I like Hellboy quite a bit to, although I'm more behind on the series than you.

What did you think of the movie?

I've considered picking up Christopher Golden's Hellboy novels on more than one occasion, to

Andrew Wheeler said...

I'm afraid I still haven't seen the movie -- I'm ridiculously far behind on my comic-book movies. (They're all PG-13, so I can't watch them with my kids, and I usually don't want to waste alone-watching-movies time with junk like that.)

Post a Comment