Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Book-A-Day #156 (12/19): The Fabulous Women of Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell

This art book collects many (though probably not all) of the paintings by Vallejo and Bell that feature women in them prominently, mixed up unchronologically.

I tend to like Bell's current work better than Vallejo's (he's gotten into too much of a rut for my taste: similar, static poses; overmuscled models; and a very slick finish on the surface), but this also has a lot of Vallejo's more painterly-looking work from the '70s and '80s, which I like better. And I think Bell is one of the best SFF painters working today; she has a great way with faces in particular.

Well, this is what it is: lots of pictures of women not wearing very much, painted by two top artists. If you're interested in that kind of thing, this is one of the best examples of it you could find.

And I should mention that you can buy it from the SFBC...

The Fabulous Book-A-Day Index!

No comments:

Post a Comment