Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Because I Like Answering Long Lists of Questions

There are minor variations on this list, depending on its vector, but I'm using the one I saw Liz Williams answering. If that makes any difference whatsoever...

1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?

I was a World Fantasy judge.

I'm sure there was something embarrassing related to the kids, but I can't think of anything specific.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I never make 'em, so I don't have to keep 'em.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

No, but my cousin will give birth, in another three months.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

No. (Then again, I'm not close to many people, so that's easy.)

5. What countries did you visit?

Aside from the People's Republic of Austin, none.

6.What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?

Plausible, or not?

If plausible, then I'm aiming for a more realistic waistline.

Otherwise, it's the same ol' mansion and yacht.

7. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Nothing comes to mind.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Nothing I can think of. I'm a professional in his late 30s with an office job and two small kids; it's all a blur of Republicans and meat at this point.

9. What was your biggest failure?

I still haven't won the lottery. Gotta work on that.

My mind-control ray is also still awfully buggy.

10.Did you suffer illness or injury?

No; I'm still slowly clawing my way back from my heart failure in 2002, so I can do without anything on top of that.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

I started giving the boys an allowance; I think that's the best thing I spent money on in 2006.

12.Whose behavior merited celebration?

(Whose syntax elicited incredulity?)

I dunno -- you tell me, you're so smart.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Most everyone's, starting with anyone who appeared on TV more than twice during the year.

14.Where did most of your money go?

Ah, yes. I'd forgotten my first rule of long-list-of-questions memes: they are aimed at teenagers. For an adult, the answer to this question is always shelter (a mortgage, in my case), with food and similar necessities coming up behind.

15.What events did you get really, really, really excited about?

I don't get really, really, really excited. I topped out at really excited when my first son was born, and that was nearly nine years ago.

16. What song will always remind you of 2006?

I don't listen to the radio, so let's say "Rabbit Fur Coat" by Jenny Lewis.

17. Compared to this time last year, you are

Yes. I am.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Reading, carousing, chasing wild women. (Re: that last. When I was about sixteen, my father -- divorced from my mother at the time, and only very very slightly inebriated, solemnly told me that his current girlfriend was "it," and that he had stopped chasing wild women. So it's probably my turn by now.)

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Work, of course -- especially the useless, tedious big-company piffle that steals time for no good reason.

20. How will you spend Christmas?

Will? I see I'm a bit late getting to this meme. I spent it first at home, then at my mother's (for brunch) and then at the in-laws (for dinner).

21. Did you fall in love in 2006?

Nope.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

No; my hates tend to persist.

24. What was the best book you read?

I'll say The End is the one, but I've got a whole list.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery or rediscovery?

Rilo Kiley and Ivy.

26. What did you want and get?

I'm pretty settled; I don't have those yearning, I'm-sixteen-and-the-world-needs-to-accommodate-my-needs-right-now desires. My kids love me, but that's not new.

27. What did you want and not get?

Oh, so many things. Let's go with "more reading time," to forestall a long, boring list.

28. What were your favorite films of this year?

Little Miss Sunshine, Thank You for Smoking, Tristram Shandy.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I don't remember, but it was a Sunday, so I think I slept late. I was thirty-seven.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Several million untraceable Nigerian dollars.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?

Stuff that fits and is clean.

32. What kept you sane?

I don't need to be kept sane, dear. I define sane.

33. What political issue stirred you the most?

Nothing.

34. Whom did you miss?

No one in particular; there are usually more people around than I want to begin with.

35. Who was the best new person you met?

It has to be my fellow WFA judges Barbara Roden and Victoria Strauss. (I'd already met Jeff VanderMeer, and still haven't met in person our mysterious fifth judge, Steve Lockley.)

36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006

If your six-year-old son really wants a cat, you're going to get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment