Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Book-A-Day #169 (1/1): Path of the Assassin, Vol. 3: Comparison of a Man by Kazuo Koike & Goseki Kojima

Third in the historical-fiction series about the youth of a guy who, I think, eventually unites Japan. (Previously on Antick Musings: Vol. 1, Vol. 2.)

This one has some serious military-political maneuvering going on, but it's mostly among on-stage people, so I didn't have as much of a problem with this as I did with Vol. 2. There's also some pretty serious sex and violence (separately and in combination); this is not a story for kids.

I still like the Lone Wolf and Cub stories best of the Koike-Kojima stuff I've read (though I really enjoyed Samurai Executioner, especially towards the end) -- though that's understandable, since it's generally considered their masterwork -- but this is different and interesting. It's a very immersive historical fiction, and might be of interest to SFF readers for that reason (and I'm even getting used to reading it right-to-left, though it's still not natural).

The Fabulous Book-A-Day Index!

No comments:

Post a Comment