Thursday, January 18, 2007

Book-A-Day #186 (1/18): Phaic Tan

The cover credits Santo Cilauro, Tom Gleisner & Rob Sitch as writers, and gives a subtitle, "Sunstroke on a Shoestring." Oh, and there's one of those shallow-u accents over the "a" in Tan.

Phaic Tan is the "sequel" to the fake travel book Molvania, which was about a fictitious Eastern European country. This one takes the same approach to Southeast Asia.

It's not as funny as Molvania (since there aren't that many different jokes in this area), but it's attractively designed, and it's still pretty funny. Quite a lot of the humor is based on punny names (such as my favorite, the Donkekong River), so one's tolerance for that will determine the reaction to the book as a whole.

I see the line is still expanding -- I admire their capitalist drive, but I do wonder about quite how much more punishment this particular equine can take. I know I'll keep reading them if I can find them for free, but I'm not sure I'd spend any actual money on the things.

The Fabulous Book-A-Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment