Sunday, January 14, 2007

Book-A-Day #182 (1/14): Slan Hunter by A.E. van Vogt and Kevin J. Anderson

This is the upcoming sequel to Slan (which I read yesterday). I haven't seen a cover for it yet, and can't find one on the web, so this entry will be text-only.

Slan Hunter is coming in July, and it picks up as if the end of Slan was a chapter break and as if sixty-five years hadn't intervened. According to interviews with Anderson I've seen, he worked from a full outline and about a hundred manuscript pages of text from van Vogt (which van Vogt wrote about 1990). That seems right to me -- it's plotted like a van Vogt novel and it read more like van Vogt than like the KJA novels I've read.

I won't say anything about the plot, other than to mention that, if you know anything about van Vogt's method of plotting, you can assume that the status quo at the end of Slan does not last very long once this book gets going.

One last note, to all of the people who complain that modern SF is too long and talky: this is the book you want.

The Fabulous Book-A-Day Index!

No comments:

Post a Comment