Saturday, January 06, 2007

Itzkoff Goes Next

It's not an "Across the Universe" column, but I'd be remiss in my duties if I didn't point out that Our Man Itzkoff has a review in tomorrow's New York Times Book Review.

It's for Michael Crichton's current skiffy thriller, Next, and, no, sir, Itzkoff didn't like it.

The over-reaching quote to pull apart this time:
All science fiction has some element of titillation -- a strategy of taking known facts and stretching them to the limits of credulity, for the purposes of both entertaining and enlightening.
I have to run Thing 2 to his gymnastics class now, so I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to provide counter-examples.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find it difficult to provide a counterexample when I can't get past the logical contradiction. How in the world does one "stretch" a fact "to the limits of credulity"?

Post a Comment