Friday, June 29, 2007

Quotes of the Week

"I wear the flag of a county that never existed and the uniform of its glorious army, spreading forth the dominion of the invincible empire of me. Doctor Impossible." (p.90)

"Splendid, but the place smells like they always do -- sweat and ozone and disinfectant, hospital smells. The ability to stretch your limbs or secrete acids can wreak havoc on the human metabolism. There's a fine line between a superpower and a chronic medical condition." (p.142)

"They could come after me, I guess, but it doesn't matter -- I'm good at escapes. Maybe into the sewers, like the old days. It doesn't matter. You keep going. You keep trying to take over the world." (p.159)

"I often wonder what Einstein would have done in my position. At Peterson, I kept an Einstein poster in my room, the ones that says 'Imagination is more important than knowledge.' Einstein was smart, maybe even as smart as Laserator, but he played it too safe. Then again, nobody ever threw a grappling hook at Einstein.

"I like to think he would have enjoyed my work, if he could have seen it. But no one sees anything I do, not until it's hovering over Chicago." (p.254)

"When your laboratory explodes, lacing your body with a super-charged elixir, what do you do? You don't just lie there. You crawl out of the rubble, hideously scarred, and swear vengeance on the world. You keep going. You keep trying to take over the world." (p.280)

- Doctor Impossible, from Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you been able to match up the members of the Champions in the book to heroes from the comics?

Blackwolf is the Batman analogue, obviously.

CoreFire is Superman.

Mister Mystic is probably Dr. Strange.

Feral is Wolverine.

But what about the others? I can't find good matches for Rainbow Triumph, Elphin, and Damsel.

Anonymous said...

I would say that Blackwolf has elements of the Dick Grayson Robin/Nightwing, given his failed romance with Damsel.

The Champions (who are called the Powerteens in my copy of the book) are the Teen Titans analogs.

Galatea could be analogous to either or both of Jocasta or Tomorrow Woman.

Damsel is something like Wonder Girl (Actually, more like the kid Red Robin and Starfire had in Kingdom Come): Legacy hero, female, super-strong.

Anonymous said...

"Galatea could be analogous to either or both of Jocasta or Tomorrow Woman."

Actually, she's much closer to Tomorrow Woman than she is to Jocasta, right down to the secret bomb planted inside her.

Anonymous said...

Feral could also be a tip of the hat to DC's Tasmanian Devil. Although I admit TD is a lot more obscure than Wolverine, the book seems to reflect DC's sensibilities more than Marvel's.

The Legion of Superhero's Timber Wolf is another possibility, particularly in his post-Five Year Gap appearances. Note that we do not discuss the TW miniseries in polite society, despite the rather amusing metahuman wannabe club it featured.

Post a Comment